When seeking hair replacement solutions, one of the first decisions many people come across is what type of piece to purchase. They wonder if they should invest in a custom hairpiece or if instead they should purchase a ready-to-wear stock wig that’s quick and, in some cases, less expensive.
There are pros and cons to each of these options. You may be asking yourself, “What’s the care and maintenance like for these hairpieces?” or “How much flexibility will I have in styling?” Everyone’s situations will be different, and it will depend on your lifestyle, budget, and severity of your hair loss.
Here, we run down a short list of some of the positives and potential negatives of each. Keep in mind that both solutions could use either natural human hair or synthetic hair.
Ready-to-Wear Wigs and Pieces
Sometimes referred to as stock pieces, this removable hair system is what people generally think of when researching hair replacement options. They come pre-made in a variety of different styles and features, and offer little flexibility in terms of changes and fit. This category includes wigs, hair extensions, top-of-head systems like toupees, partial caps, and more.
- Readily available at brick-and-mortar and online retailers and salons
- Elastic caps fit just about any head size and shape
- Easy to put on and remove at a moment’s notice
- The low price point allows room in your budget for multiple wigs and pieces for variety
- Great for patients experiencing temporary hair loss, like cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy
- Out-of-the-box fit often isn’t comfortable for many people
- Pieces tend to look artificial, not blending well with someone’s natural look
- Elastic band may limit your physical activities, like dancing
- Requires additional time for care and maintenance
- Lifespan of a removable hairpiece is short, and it needs to be switched out often
While there are a variety of different stock hair pieces on the market, it can be a chore to find the one that’s fit and right for you. If you’re looking for something that’s low maintenance and yet gives you a natural, beautiful look, then custom hairpieces may be the way to go.
Custom Hair Systems
Thanks to the advancement of science and technology, there are now many solutions available for hair replacement. From Omnigraft – a non-surgical hair grafting procedure, to Aurora Hair Integration system – a procedure using existing hair to add volume, there is sure to be a hair system that’s fit for your needs.
- Great for people experiencing hair loss in patches or partial areas
- Can sometimes use existing hair to fulfill the needs of a client
- Advanced bonding techniques for hair pieces to scalp allow for superior fit
- New pieces can be blended and fitted to look natural and unapparent
- Higher quality means lower maintenance and longer lifespans for hairpieces
- Variety of available procedures ranges largely in cost, so custom hair systems can actually be cost-effective and inexpensive for many patients
- Custom pieces require time and are not instant like stock wigs and hairpieces
- Every patient responds to the bonding techniques differently
If a custom hair system is what you’re looking for, but you’re not sure if your budget allows for it, one of our experienced hair loss experts will be able to explore the many options available to you. There is something for everyone!
Book a free consultation today online or call us at 800-966-9505 for either of our Los Angeles or Woodland Hills locations.