First, it’s important to understand why or how you can get acne on your scalp. Acne is a skin condition that occurs when the oil-secreting glands in your skin and hair follicles clog up with excess oil, causing a buildup of bacteria. While it’s most common in teenagers due to hormonal changes in the body, people of any age can develop acne for various other reasons, such as diet, environmental factors, and more.
Although acne is most commonly found on the face, you can have acne on your scalp if your pores are clogged not from your hormones but from other external factors, including:
- Buildup of sweat after physical activity
- Excessive amounts of hair product, like gel or hairspray
- Too much oil buildup from not washing hair thoroughly enough
Untreated acne on your scalp can lead to many problems, including headaches from the discomfort and hair loss. The inflamed scalp can damage otherwise healthy hair follicles causing hair to fall or thin out.
To treat scalp acne, here are a few things you can do:
- Shampoo more often. There’s a science to how often you should wash your hair, and you definitely do not need to wash every day. However, 2-3 times a week is generally recommended for a healthy scalp.
- Clean off your hair after an intense workout. The sweat that builds up after a workout can clog your pores, so wash your hair after you’re done. To avoid hair loss, also try not wearing your hair up too tight while exercising.
- Use over-the-counter products specifically targeted to treating scalp acne. There are some shampoos and hair products you can buy that may contain ingredients like salicylic acid or tea tree oil that can help combat acne.
If the problem persists, you should make an appointment with a dermatologist to get to the root of the problem. Taking good care of your scalp now can help you avoid hair loss in the future.
If you wear hair pieces or wigs, speak to a trichologist today to find a solution that gives you the look you want while also protecting your scalp. You can book your FREE hair and scalp consultation with Hair Restoration of California at one of our two Los Angeles locations.
Feel free to give us a call at (310) 477 2320 for the Olympic Blvd location or (818) 999 9952 for Woodland Hills.